Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The 30x30 Challenge: Day 2

Too often people hear "nature" and automatically thing forests and trees, which is why i opted to spend Day 2 of my 30x30 Challenge on the shores of Lake Ontario.

I'm blessed to have one of the five Great Lakes within walking distance of my home, and too often I take it for granted.

Listening to the waves lapping at the shore is a great way to relax and unwind after a day at work while I get in my 30 minutes outdoors today.

It's also a great place to kick back, enjoy the cool lakefront breeze and read a book. Today's book is Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, which details the Mount Everest disaster of 1996.

And this outlines another reason why I love the idea of the 30x30 Challenge; slowing down.  Life moves at a rapid pace for many; from jobs to kids to family issues, etc. By taking part in the the challenge it forces you to slow down, take 30 minutes per day to yourself, decompress and recharge your batteries, even if only for that 30 minutes.

So once again, I encourage you to participate in the 30x30 Challenge, which was created by the David Suzuki Foundation and is currently sponsored and promoted by Ontario Parks. Follow me on twitter (@PortlyHiker) and tell me how your challenge is going, or give me some ideas of activities you're planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment